Enthought Deployment Manager (EDM) is Enthought’s mechanism to deliver scientific software applications and development environments to our clients. Building on Enthought’s collection of carefully tested, consistently built Python packages, EDM allows developers to iterate quickly on solutions to a problem, and have the confidence that their code will work when delivered to the end user. Designed around the central concept of fully specified and reproducible Python software environments, EDM supports all phases of the software development and deployment process, from initial idea to delivery of a finished application.
EDM creates self-contained environments with their own Python executable and set of packages. This allows users to reproduce a colleague or partner’s environment for co-development, troubleshooting, or testing or to work on different projects with different sets of dependencies.
Dependency information is included in Enthought’s curated packages to allow EDM’s dependency solver to create sets of reliably consistent packages. This allows users to have one set of package versions in a known production state while developing an experimental state for the next release.
The Enthought Deployment Manager provides:
- The ability to create multiple self contained environments
- A state of the art dependency solver with support for resolving conflicts and other features available in advanced package managers, such as the ability of multiple packages to satisfy a requirement (the “PROVIDES” clause), etc.
- Access to the existing set of Enthought built and tested Python packages on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows (more than 600 packages for Python 2 and Python 3)
- A well-defined deployment API useable by third party programs (e.g. IDEs, GUIs)
- A small distribution footprint, ~10 Mb single file binary
- Native installers for Windows (.msi), Mac OS X (.pkg), RHEL/Fedora (.rpm), and Debian/Ubuntu (.deb)
- Support for multiple Python versions (both Python 2 and Python 3), implementations (cpython, pypy) and even other languages (Julia)
Join Our Mailing List!
Sign up below to receive email updates including the latest news, insights, and case studies from our team.