About This Course
This 5-day class will get your group up to speed quickly on how to optimize your use of the Python standard language and key Python packages for data exploration, modeling, and analysis.
The Python for Data Analysis class will get you up to speed quickly on how to optimize your use of the Python standard language and key Python packages for data exploration, modeling, and analysis. This curriculum provides an excellent survey understanding of the Python language and its capabilities for all things data, while also providing intensive exposure to the core workhorse tools of NumPy and Pandas that are central to data analysis in Python.
"You could tell from the demos, examples and exercises that this course was designed and taught by someone who has first hand experience of using the tools on real world and real life data."
Course Syllabus & Topics
Programming experience in some language (such as R, MATLAB, SAS, Mathematica, Java, C, C++, VB, or FORTRAN) is expected. In particular, participants need to be comfortable with general programming concepts like variables, loops, and functions. Previous Python experience is helpful, but not required.
An understanding of how to use the Python standard library to write programs, access various tools, and document and automate analytical processes.
- Types (strings, lists, dictionaries, and more)
- Control Flow (if-then statements, looping)
- Organizing code (functions, modules, packages)
- Reading and writing files
- Overview of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
Introduction to NumPy and 2D plotting. The NumPy package is presented as a tool for rapidly manipulating and processing large data sets. 2D plotting is introduced with matplotlib.
- Understanding the N-dimensional data structure
- Creating arrays
- Indexing arrays by slicing or more generally with indices or masks
- Basic operations and manipulations on N-dimensional arrays
- Plotting with matplotlib
Built on top of NumPy arrays, the Python Data Analysis Library (Pandas) is a powerful and convenient package for dealing with tabular datasets. Participants will learn about its powerful data aggregation and reorganization capabilities for data set explorations, including support for labeling data along each dimension, dealing with missing values, and time series manipulations.
An expert instructor will support students as they work through a typical real-world data analysis project step-by-step using Pandas. This course develops the deep knowledge and skills that will enable students to tackle their own projects with Pandas immediately when they get back to work on Monday morning.
- Reading and writing data from local files (.txt,.csv,.xls, .json, etc)
- Reading data from remote files
- Scraping tables from web pages (.html)
- Making the most of the powerful read_table method
- Working with Pandas data structures: Series and DataFrames
- Accessing your data: indexing, slicing, fancy indexing, boolean indexing
- Data wrangling, including dealing with dates and times and missing datas
- Adding, dropping, selecting, creating, and combining rows and columns
- Database access with DB-API2 and SQLAlchemy
- Executing SQL commands from Pandas
- Loading database data into a DataFrame
- Combining and manipulating DataFrames: merge, join, concatenate
- Understanding the structure of a Figure
- Data visualization: scatter plots, line plots, box plots, bar charts,and histograms with matplotlib
- Customizing plots: important attributes and arguments
- Split-apply-combine with DataFrames
- Data summarization and aggregation methods
- Pandas powerful groupby method
- Reshaping, pivoting, and transforming your data
- Simple and rolling statistics
- Deep learning of the data analysis tools through lectures, Q&A, and hands-on exercises
- Develop transferable skills through application to authentic data sets
- Predict the future with time series analysis
- And more!
Open Class Schedule
Open Class Schedule
Onsite corporate classes are also available. Discounts are available for 3 or more attendees and academics currently at a degree-granting institution. Contact us using the form on this page to learn more.
The 3 day Pandas Mastery Workshop is an alternative course for those who already have both (1) current working knowledge of programming in the Python standard language (data structures, control flow, assignment, functions, and package access) and (2) familiarity with array programming in NumPy.
There are no classes scheduled at this time. To request one, please contact us using the form on this page.